Southwestern Athletic Conference News and Updates
Special to The Dallas Examiner | 10/15/2013, 12:19 p.m.
Special to The Dallas Examiner
• Prairie View A&M’s 56-48 win over Stephen F. Austin (9/28) was the league’s first victory over a non HBCU Division I FCS team since 2009. The last team from the SWAC to accomplish the feat was Grambling State with a 38-17 win over Northwestern State
• The SWAC joins the UAPB community in mourning the loss of league hall of famer L.C. Greenwood. Greenwood, passed at the age of 67 due to natural causes. He was an All-Pro defensive end who won four Super Bowl rings as a member of Pittsburgh Steelers famed “Steel Curtain” defense
• The Sports Network has added Alabama State running back Isaiah Crowell to its 2013 Walter Payton Award Watch List. He joins two other FCS athletes as mid-season additions moving the list to 20 award nominees. The 27th annual award is presented by The Sports Network and recognizes the most outstanding player in the FCS.
• Jackson State, Prairie View A&M and Alabama State are currently ranked in all three major Black College Football polls including the Sheriden, HSRN and BTR
• Five schools from the SWAC are ranked in the HSRN Poll. The list includes: Alabama State (4), Jackson State (5), Prairie View A&M (7), Alcorn State (8), Alabama A&M (10)
• The Black College Football Hall of Fame announced the 25 finalists on the ballot for induction into the 5th Annual Black College Football Hall of Fame. The list consists of 20 players, five coaches and five contributors and includes 14 SWAC legends:
Alabama A&M - John Stallworth (WR)
Alcorn State - Marino Casem (Head Coach)
Grambling State - Ernie “Big Cat” Ladd (DL), Everson Walls (DB), Ralph Waldo Emerson Jones (President)
Jackson State - Robert Brazile (LB), Harold Jackson (WR)
Mississippi Valley State - Willie “Satellite” Totten (QB) Prairie View A&M - Otis Taylor (WR) Southern Harold Carmichael (WR)Aeneas Williams (CB) Arnett Mumford (Head Coach)
Texas Southern - Michael Strahan (DE)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff - L.C. Greenwood (DE)
• Jackson State remains the only unbeaten team in conference play with a 3-0 record.
• With the loss to Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff joins Jackson State (2008) and Grambling State (2012) as defending SWAC champions to open their conference slate the following season with a 0-2 mark
• Isaiah Crowell (Alabama State), Dray Joseph (Southern), Lee Doss (Southern), Tavoris Doss (Alcorn State) Nicholas Martin (Alabama State), Gabe Dunlap (Prairie View A&M), Myles Everett (Alabama State), Antonio Jenkins (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), Johnathan Wallace (Grambling State), Gabe Dunlap (Prairie View A&M), Jer-Ryan Harris (Arkansas-Pine Bluff), and Willie Quinn (Southern), rank in the top five in the nation in their respective categories
• Arkansas-Pine Bluff defenders – Antonio Jenkins (1) and Jer-Ryan Harris (3) are ranked in the top five in FCS in total tackles. Antonio Jenkins has 40 solo tackles (13.3 avg/g) and Jer-Ryan Harris posts 33 (12.8 avg/g)
• Prairie View A&M running back Courtney Brown’s 224 yards against Southern marked the fourth consecutive year a SWAC running back rushed for 200-plus yards in a single game - Kaderius Lacey - 202 (2012), Dawrence Roberts - 201 (2011), and Frank Warner - 256 (2010)