Chicago PD accused of using street justice

Police fatally shoot another unarmed Black teenager

ROBYN H. JIMENEZ | 8/16/2016, 8:57 a.m.
Chicago Police Department body camera videos released recently have revealed several important details surrounding the fatal shooting of Paul O’Neal, ...
Paul O’Neal, 18, lies on the cement, handcuffed and bleeding from a gunshot wound to his back, as Chicago police officers search him for a gun. No weapons were found. Screenshot of Police Center video

The Dallas Examiner

Chicago Police Department body camera videos released recently have revealed several important details surrounding the fatal shooting of Paul O’Neal, an unarmed 18-year-old African American male.

O’Neal, from Chicago, was shot on the evening of July 28 during a stolen vehicle investigation in the city’s South Shore neighborhood, according to The Associated Press.

Authorities have said officers stopped a Jaguar convertible that had been reported stolen. Police said officers opened fire after the driver, identified as O’Neal, put the car in drive and sideswiped a squad car and a parked vehicle, AP reported.

The body cameras showed footage of O’Neal’s reckless driving as he evaded the officers, as well as the officers firing through the neighborhood at O’Neal.

When the Jaguar came to a stop, O’Neal fled the scene, jumping a gate to a resident’s back yard. The officer behind the cam was heard shouting expletives as he and other officers pursued O’Neal. The first officer – not shown in any footage – had already made it over the gate. The second officer was delayed until the third officer arrived to help him over the gate. Suddenly, four gunshots were heard. The third officer requested assistance over the gate but was unsuccessful in getting over.

The officers then ran around to another yard where O’Neal was taken down. The video showed the young man lying on the cement face down as he bled from at least one gunshot to the back. The officer behind the cam ran to the scene.

“Get your head down, m f**,” he commanded as he pushed O’Neal’s head down to the cement.

The officers then handcuffed the bleeding suspect.

“[Inaudible] f* shoot at us,” an officer stated.

The officers then searched O’Neal. No gun was found.

Afterward O’Neal was escorted away, the officer behind the cam asked one of the officers if he also shot at the suspect. He said he did.

“And they shot at us too, right?” another officer claimed, referring to O’Neal and another suspect in the car.

As they tried to assess which shots came from whom, numerous officers arrived and tried to retrace O’Neal’s steps, in search of a gun and bullet shells.

“F man, I’m going to be on desk duty for 30 g** d days,” one of the officers stated as the search began.

“Hey, he shot back, right?” another officer asked during the brief discussion.

Later, one of the officers stated that he shot at O’Neal about “three to five rounds” because he heard gunshots fired in his direction earlier when the Jaguar hit his car. However, the officer admitted that he did not know if O’Neal was armed at the time the officer might have shot him.

O’Neal was later pronounced dead at a hospital. A second man, said to be riding in the Jaguar with O’Neal, was arrested on the scene.

No weapons were found on the scene or in the vehicle.

Chicago police chief, protesters at odds over body cameras