Brighter Bites offers summer meals to children
Special to The Dallas Examiner | 6/20/2017, 10:15 a.m.
Special to The Dallas Examiner
More than 400,000 children in North Texas are considered “food insecure,” living in food deserts, and summer can be the most difficult time for these children who often rely on school-sponsored meal programs to eat.
To address the lack of access to fresh produce and help families overcome barriers to wellness, Target is teaming up with Brighter Bites to bring 170,000 pounds of fresh produce and vegetables to 800 families this summer.
Families who have enrolled and qualified for Brighter Bites’ program will have access to nine sites in South Dallas and across the city and are eligible to receive:
• Fresh produce once a week for up to eight weeks
• Recipes to teach them how to prepare the food they receive
• Educational materials about healthy eating habits
• Samples of freshly prepared foods
Brighter Bites locations:
• Girls Inc. – Love Field: 2040 Empire Central Drive
• Girls Inc. – Oak Cliff: 350 N Zang Blvd.
• Wesley Rankin: 3100 Crossman Ave.
• Project Transformation – Elmwood: 1315 Berkley Ave.
• Project Transformation – CH: 4031 West Clarendon Drive
• Park South YMCA: 2500 Romine Ave.
• St. Philip’s: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
• Boys and Girls Club East Dallas: 4804 Worth St.
• Trinity River Mission: 2060 Singleton Blvd #104