Cedar Hill ISD schools honor local leaders

Kimberly Lacy Patman, JoLynn Maddox and Dr. Peggy Wilson – Photos courtesy of Cedar Hill

 

Special to The Dallas Examiner

 

CEDAR HILL – The Cedar Hill Independent School District Board of Trustees voted June 21 to approve names for three newly repurposed buildings.

The Belt Line Enrollment Center at 504 East Belt Line will be renamed The Lacy Enrollment Center to honor the four siblings of the Lacy Family, who were the first African American scholars to attend CHISD, in the early 1970s.

The Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Center at 1515 West Belt Line Road will be the Dr. Peggy M. Wilson STEM Center. The renaming will honor 94-year-old Dr. Peggy Wilson, a longtime citizen of the city who was the first female engineer at the company that is now Exxon Mobil. The STEM center will share the building with Collegiate Academy and High School.

The Teaching and Learning Center at 1533 High Pointe Lane will be renamed the JoLynn Maddox Teaching and Learning Center. Maddox, a resident in the city who joined the district in 1988, is an instructional coach with CHISD. She is a former CHISD Teacher of the Year at both the elementary and secondary levels.

“Cedar Hill ISD is honored to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of The Lacy Family, Wilson and Maddox,” CHISD Superintendent Dr. Gerald Hudson said. “We know that many current and future Cedar Hill ISD scholars and staff members will learn about their contributions to the district, for many years to come.”

The district is planning official dedication ceremonies for each building in the fall.

Advertisement

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*