Special to The Dallas Examiner
Dallas Area Rapid Transit has partnered with Assurance Wireless to offer free cell phone service and a free cell phone to eligible DART riders who are currently enrolled in a qualifying federal or state assistance program. Participants can also receive a Discount GoPass Tap Card, with a 50% discount on the regular price of a DART pass, when attending one of several upcoming events. For more, visit https://dart.org/freesmartphone.
Free cell phone and service
DART riders may qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program if they participate in:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children
Riders may qualify for Texas Lifeline if they participate in any of the three programs above, or in any of the following:
- Children’s Health Insurance Program
- Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program
- DHA: Housing Solutions for North Texas
- Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
GoPass Tap Card
the Discount GoPass Tap Card pilot-program was launched to ensure riders who qualify have access to jobs, health care and educational opportunities, reducing social and economic inequalities by making mobility financially feasible to more people.
All riders who participate in any of the following programs are now eligible for services at half the fare:
- Housing Choice Vouchers
- DHA Housing Solutions for North Texas Program
- Texas WIC
Online registration is available at https://dart.org/tapforhalf. Discount Tap Cards can be used on any DART bus or light rail, including Trinity Railway Express between EBJ Union Station and CentrePort/DFW Station.
Upcoming Free Phone Events
To establish eligibility, DART riders should bring proof of participation in qualifying programs – supporting documentation – to the event. Documentation must include your full name and address and be dated to show your current participation. For more information and qualifications, visit the website listed above.
Events will be held from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. as follows:
- Sept. 14 at Westmoreland Station, 2646 S. Westmoreland Road,
- Sept. 20 at North Carrolton/Frankford Station, 1717 W. Frankford Road in Carrollton
- Sept. 22 at CityLine/Bush Station, 1300 E. President George Bush Highway, in Richardson
- Nov. 8 at Buckner Station, 8008 Elam Road
- Nov. 10 at Downtown Irving/Heritage Crossing Station, 201 Rock Island Road in Irving
- Nov. 14 at Bernal/Singleton Transfer Location, 5151 Singleton Blvd.
- Nov. 16 at Parker Road Station, 2600 Archerwood Street in Plano
- Nov. 18 at Glenn Heights Park & Ride, 1200 E. Bear Creek Road in Glenn Heights
The ACP is a government program that reduces the customer’s broadband internet access service bill. One discount per eligible household and is non-transferable across households. An eligible household may obtain ACP-supported broadband service from any participating provider of its choosing and may apply ACP benefit to any broadband service offering of the participating provider at the same terms available to households that are not eligible for ACP-supported service.
ACP service provider may disconnect the household’s ACP-supported service after 90 consecutive days of non-payment; the household will be subject to the provider’s undiscounted rates and general terms and conditions if the program ends, if the consumer transfers their benefit to another provider but continues to receive service from the current provider, or upon de-enrollment from ACP.
A household may file a complaint against its provider via the FCC’s Consumer Complaint Center, https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov; visit AffordableConnectivity.gov for more information on ACP. Coverage is not available everywhere. Assurance Wireless reserves the right to change or cancel offer at any time. Prohibited network use rules & other restrictions apply. By activating your device and service, you agree to the Assurance Wireless Terms and Conditions. See details at https://www.assurancewireless.com.