(George Curry Media) – One of the best-known comedians in America is George Wallace. He is now called “The New Mr. Las Vegas.”
Wallace got his comedy break after graduating from the University of Akron in Ohio and moving to New York City to work as a salesperson for an advertising agency. One of his advertising clients was opening a comedy club. Wallace’s natural humor and friendly demeanor amused that club owner. He offered Wallace the chance to perform stand-up comedy. The year was 1977. Wallace was a hit. The rest is humorous history.
Wallace stayed in New York City for several years, perfecting his craft and living with his friend and fellow comedian Jerry Seinfeld. He moved west and became a regular at The Comedy Store in West Hollywood, which featured artists such as Richard Pryor, Roseanne Barr and Robin Williams.
Wallace is now a frequent guest on national television shows. He serves as the “comic relief” on numerous morning radio programs, including The Tom Joyner Morning Show and The Steve Harvey Radio Show. He served in a similar capacity for radio shows hosted by motivational speaker Les Brown and former singing idol Isaac Hayes.
He has opened for Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Donna Summer and George Benson. He even has an HBO special and was named “Best Male Standup Comedian” at the American Comedy Awards in 1995.
People who visit Vegas may have seen the ads promoting Wallace as the “#1 show in Las Vegas.” But what most may not know is that Wallace is not only the star of the show, he is also his own promoter. He decided not to work for the casino. Rather, he decided to work for George Wallace Inc. He continued his show for 10 years, as the #1 sell-out on the strip.
In late 2014, Wallace ended his run at the Flamingo Las Vegas to tour around the world.
He is the author of a new book titled Laff It Off, a tome of life wisdom, wit, insight and humor.
In my interview with Wallace for my SiriusXM Show, he shared some of the secrets to helping people grow and own their own businesses. Here are some key takeaways:
• Your mindset is the key to your success.
• To be successful in any venture you must market and sell.
• Not only must you sell, but also you need to learn to sell with a smile. Be friendly and focused on serving your customer.
• Make sure you have a good, marketable product and then market like crazy. Give away free tickets and free goodies to get them in the door and then get them to go tell others.
- Word-of-mouth is a powerful tool; and with social media the mouth gets multiplied quickly.
• Put your name in the streets. Put it everywhere you can.
• The secret that rich people understand is that you must go to work, and work smart.
• If you cannot find an opportunity, then make one.
• Laughter is good for business and good for long life.
• Laughter is free medicine. And it’s medicine that you should keep within the reach of children.
Willie Jolley is America’s #1 inspirational/motivational speaker/singer/author.