Councilmember Jaynie Schultz joined City of Dallas staff Tuesday at the demolition site of the former Valley View mall entrance.
“The final demolition and clearing of the Valley View site is an important step in the fulfillment of the vision set forth over ten years ago by our city leaders, chambers of commerce, the development community and neighbors,” Schultz said.
The former mall is set to be transformed into in the Dallas International District.
“The vision of the Dallas International District is to be a new regional downtown that thousands of people call home, thousands more are employed, and thousands more come from across North Texas to visit as a global meeting place whether in the park, our international restaurants and shop at Galleria Dallas,” Schultz added.
Since the strategic plan for the international district was presented to Dallas City Council in January 2022, by Schultz and community volunteers led the City of Dallas’ progress, including: The city of Dallas purchased the Prism Center, located at 5580 Peterson Lane, in early 2021. The center will anchor the new international district, housing the French Trade Office and the European American Chamber of Commerce Texas.
- Dallas ISD purchased a building for the school district’s first PreK-12 International STEAM Academy. It is expected to open in 2025.
- Workforce Solutions will open an office in fall 2023. Friends of The Commons has begun fundraising to support the city’s plans for a 20-acre park.
- Montfort Road is under construction to provide safe and pedestrian-friendly complete streets with wide sidewalks, bike lanes and streetscape improvements.
- North Central Texas Council of Governments granted $10 million to plan a regional transportation Innovation Zone piloting automated systems.
- City-sponsored Dallas International quarterly night markets at the Prism Center unite neighbors through multicultural food, music and art. The next event is scheduled for Sept. 9 from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- The European American Chamber of Commerce Texas and Galleria Dallas hosted Experience Europe in May 2023, offering wine, food and entertainment.
For more information visit the Dallas International District website and #DallasInternationalDistrict on social media.