Texas Democratic Party Coordinated Campaign Aims to Contact 1 Million Unregistered Texas Voters in One Week
Special to The Dallas Examiner
AUSTIN – The Texas Democratic Party announced Aug. 31 the “Texas Voter Registration Week,” that started Aug. 31, where Texas Democrats and the MJ for Senate campaign will reach out to 1 million unregistered Texans in the course of one week to help folks register to vote in the 2020 election.
This unprecedented effort comes after the Texas Democratic Party contacted 3.5 million Texans in two weekends earlier this month. Texas Voter Registration Week will be the biggest weeklong voter registration effort in the party’s history.
“We’re excited our volunteers are working across Texas to register so many new voters. By mobilizing millions of Texans this November we will elect servant leaders up and down the ballot who embody Texas values,” US Senate Democratic nominee MJ Hegar expressed.
Through this effort, the Texas Democratic Party will target younger voters and voters of color to ensure that they are able to register and vote this fall. Texas is getting younger and more diverse every day, and expanding the electorate is critical to Texas Democrats’ path to victory. If these new voters register and vote, Texas Democrats will win up and down the ballot.
The program will entail:
- Phone-banking shifts every night during the week: Monday -Thursday, 6 p.m. – 8:45 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 1:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. and 4 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Text banking shifts 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. every weekday.
- A DIY High School Voter Registration Toolkit for high school students that includes programming and resources for voter education, in-school voter registration, and relational organizing.
- A panel on voter disenfranchisement in the Black community and the importance of registering to vote.
- Highlighting the importance of RegisterTexas.com as a portal that all Texans can use to request voter registration applications.
- The continuation of the biggest voter expansion program in the country.
“The Texas Voter Registration Week is game-changing and could be the difference between Texas Democrats winning and losing in November,” Texas Democratic Party Voter Expansion Director Luke Warford stated. “The Texas Democratic Party already has the biggest voter expansion team in the country. Our efforts are shifting the Texas electorate as we speak. Now, the Texas Democratic Party is performing the single biggest weeklong voter registration effort in Party history, primarily targeting young people and people of color who will help carry Democrats to victory in November.
“We thank the MJ Hegar campaign for partnering with us on this historic effort. Together, we will contact Texans across the state and ensure that they are able to register and cast their ballots in November. This is the single biggest week of voter registration in Texas Democratic Party history. To sign up to volunteer for Texas Voter Registration Week, please visit txdem.co/VoterRegWeek.”